Thursday, March 8, 2012

Popularity



I have moved around quite a lot, and been to a lot of different schools in a short time period. I went from Los Angeles to Austin TX, to Brooklyn, to North Carolina, and finally, to Connecticut. All of the schools were private, and I'm not sure the difference between public/private school, but all them were kind of cliquey. I really don't expect anyone to be reading this, but if you are (hi, there!) then I want to know, is your school like that? Are there groups with the popular kids and with the, well, not-so-popular ones? The  "rules" of popularity are pretty much the same for each school Iv'e been to. To be popular you have to be reasonably attractive, friendly, outgoing, and athletic. It helps if your parents are friends with other kids' parents. Most of these qualities I had, but the last one. I had always tried to be nice to everybody, which got me a lot of friends pretty quickly. In Los Angeles and Austin I had fit in, and you could say I was "popular", but in North Carolina I didn't really feel right. The people had kind of stuck together in their own groups, and I had been really quiet because I didn't have any friends. People thought I was shy, and never really hung out with me. They weren't mean at all, but no one really talked to me. This gave me a new insight to how all of the unpopular kids felt, and I made sure to be nice to EVERYBODY when I went to Greenwich, Connecticut. I am popular and happy now, but I want to tell everybody that popularity doesn't define who you are at all. Justin Timberlake said that it is what makes you awkward as a kid that make you sexy as an adult. Rock those glasses! Who cares if you're a little shy? Smile, be kind, try hard, and be YOURSELF :)

xxx

Abby ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment