Monday, April 2, 2012

Kony-- Baloney?



So, when I first started this blog, I was thinking, hmm.. what should I write about? What has recently happened in my life? The first thing that came to mind was the video I had seen, KONY 2012. I was like, the seven millionth viewer, and now there are around 90 million views. 

At first I was incredibly moved and it made me want to make a change. A lot of people were talking about it at school too, and I even asked my parents if I could buy the Kony 2012 action kit. I couldn't believe that a man could be so cruel! What had the world ever done to Joseph as a kid that made him do all of these horrible things? Why?! That question kept rattling around in my brain. WHY would he do this!? All of those poor kids, those mutilated faces, those dead bodies... and what for!? To make Joseph Kony feel a sense of pride? To feel powerful? Mighty? Important? It just wasn't fair.

The maker of the video, Jason Russell, was recently found ranting naked on the streets of San Diego. The hospital diagnosed him with some strange condition. His wife said that it was because the attention KONY 2012 was getting was overwhelming Jason. 

People in Uganda are saying that the video is "misleading". The LRA does indeed exist, but they have not attacked in a good number of years. Kony is not active anymore. I'm not saying that we should just forget about the entire thing, because that would not be right. You can't just murder thousands, and ruin tons of young lives, but then say, "Oh, but I'm not doing it anymore. It's fine." What is did was downright AWFUL, and it should not go un-noticed. But the US shouldn't be getting themselves too caught up in it, because we have issues of our own, and sending troops over to Africa to capture somebody who isn't a threat anymore is just a waste of time and money.

I hope they DO bring Kony to justice, but in a way that won't pull the US into trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment